"Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved"
Thomas S. Monson

Friday, October 5, 2007

Utah's Best Lit Attic by Scott

Some time back we decided we were going to remodel our kitchen and take out the dropped ceiling. While we were at it there were a couple other changes we needed to make, a big one was to add a sky light to the dining area. We've complained about the low light level in the kitchen/dining since we moved in. This past April we went and bought almost all of the stuff we needed to do the kitchen and the sky light Earlier this week I decided that we may not have too many days left where the weather would allow us to get up and cut a hole in the roof for the new sky light. I read the instructions a couple times and decided I'd do it Thursday afternoon. After all it should only take a couple or three hours to just cut the hole and install it. I wasn't going to put in the whole thing, though I'm sure that would only take a couple or three more hours, but we didn't have the drywall yet. Somewhere around 11:00 yesterday morning I got out the ladder and went up into the attic to take a look around. Too make a very long story a little shorter when it got dark last night all we had was a big hole in the roof with the wood to put the sky light on, with quite a bit of bare roof around it, and it was threatening to rain. All I could do was rest the sky light on the wood to cover the hole and pray that the rain missed us at least until today when I could get back up there. After all there was only 30 minutes to an hour's work left to do. The Lord did bless us and the rain went around us. I was on the roof about 9 o'clock this morning and done about 1:30, with no break for lunch or anything. I was up and down that ladder so many times, on my knees removing and replacing shingles and a dozen other things. Even with knee pads my knees are red and raw. It would be hard to find a muscle that doesn't hurt. I could go on and on, but I won't. I'll just tell you that putting in your very first sky light and trying not to leave any place to leak in the roof is a lot less fun than I thought.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

You should have called we could have come and helped (somehow I am sure) or at least watched:) Way to go! You are amazing! Sounds like the remodel has officially began. let us know how we can help! You guys are always welcome for dinner (or any other meal) if the kitchen is to torn apart to find food or deal with making something.

Jeanne Bee said...

I hope you got some "before" pictures. I can't wait to see the "after" ones! I know you have a lot of work ahead of you but, it is going to look SOOO awesome! You are also welcome to have dinner at our house whenever you need. ;) Good luck! Love you!
Keep us posted!

Scott Law said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Law said...

Kathryn, thanks for fixing our background, and so quickly to. But I think you must have made the above comment while you were signed in under our account:-).

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Ha,ha! Whoops! :)