Originally Published Feb. 22, 2008
Today I went to lunch with a good friend. When I first moved here, seven years ago, and went to church for the first time he came over and introduced himself, welcomed me and sat down next to me. I really welcomed his friendship. I admire him, and am grateful for him. I've always wished I could be more outgoing and friendly to strangers like that, it's a habit I really need to improve. Anyway, since then we have golfed together many times and developed a good friendship. He has had some back problems the last couple of years and he hasn't been able to golf nearly as often as he would like. He had back surgery just a couple months ago, and the doctor tells him not to even think about golf until probably August at the soonest. Since his surgery he's been stuck in the house for the most part, other than going to the doctor a few times, and riding along with his brother-in-law on a couple errands a week or so ago. Earlier this week I got the idea to call him today, since I was going to be home from work, and invite him to go out for lunch. I almost didn't do it, but I did and he was thrilled to get out. I'm sure glad I did it. I enjoyed it as much or more than he did. Good people like Jay are hard to find and when you do, go out of your way to be their friend. You'll be glad you did. I know I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment